Monday, March 23, 2009

A Different Perspective

This past weekend, I was honored to stand up in a wedding for a long-time friend, Brenna. Brenna and I have been friends, we think, since the age of 4. She lived across the street from my babysitter, and our dads were both on the fire department. I don't ever remember her not being there. She was always my partner-in-crime...not that we ever did anything that bad, we were just extremely curious. And we could talk our dads into anything!

We went separate ways in college, but always were able to pick right up where we left off. We both went through some tough stuff, and both helped each other through it. I was surprised when she asked me to be a bridesmaid, as she has a huge, I mean HUGE, family and was always really close to a couple of her cousins. I really thought between siblings, in-laws and cousins, there wouldn't be room for friends...so I consider myself lucky. We had a great time.

As most of you can imagine, I hung out with the kids most of the time. I should mention that I've been sick for almost 2 weeks, and was on an antibiotic for the past few days...so no drinking for me! Anyway, Brenna's niece, L., was the cutest flower girl ever! When I stop being lazy and upload my pictures, I'll add one I took of her. Anyway, while we were waiting for the wedding to start, L. looked at a Japanese beetle and said "Mana, dem yook yike yadybugs, but dem not yadybugs. And dem not nice. And dem tink!" She apparently used to have a bad habit of squishing them, which made them "tink." She was so sweet and cute! Later at the reception, she came up to me with her blankie. I asked her if she wanted to cuddle, and she nodded yes. I think it took me about 4 leg sways and she was out, loud music and all! So adorable!

Needless to say, I had a great time. It was a long day, and my feet were killing me, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Lots of old friends showed up, and it was good catching up with them. It's amazing how much has changed for all of us in the past 10 years....

**A side story I wanted to add:**
A few weeks ago, we did a scavenger hunt for Brenna's bachelorette party. One of the items was getting 5 guys to give us their philosophy on marriage. I don't know if I agree with this guy, but thought it was kind of funny/cute. He states:

"Marriage is like a three ring circus. First, there's the engagement ring. Next, the wedding ring. Then the suffering!"

All in good fun!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Weddings are so much fun. Sounds like you had a good time. Can't wait to see pictures.