So, it's been about 10 years since I graduated from high school. Today, I walked back into that school as an adult/college graduate/coach. I'm not going to lie, it was weird. I literally almost ran into my old Chemistry/Physics teacher, who I drove crazy! He let me sit at the lab tables during class, and I was constantly messing with stuff. He would get so mad and scream "Johnson!" He didn't have much hair on top, and he would turn scarlet and these veins would pop out on his forehead. I walk in today, and he said "Wow, there's a blast from the past!" Nice reintroduction!
And then I noticed the smell. It still smells the same...like sweaty socks and formaldehyde. Weird combo, I know. It still basically looks the same, but so much has changed. There is a plaque on the wall honoring one of my brother's friends who died while serving in Iraq. And the track and field record boards were redone in his memory. There are new pennants hanging in the gym, and they finally got new bleachers. I recognized a handful of kids, as some of them weren't even in kindergarten when I graduated. Wow, if that doesn't make a person feel old.
But then I see Mr.B, my old PE teacher (the only one I ever had!)/track coach/mentor. And he never changes. He asked me on Sunday to come help out...he introduced me to track and was my biggest supporter, how could I say no? He explained who needed help, and who would be competing tomorrow so I could get them the help they need. Then he gave me a glowing introduction to the entire team! He's an amazing person. And then it was time to throw the shot put.
I wish I had a body double, because all the kids have talent...it just needs fine-tuning. And with a technical sport like shot put, you have to give individual attention. Hard to do in a little over an hour with 12 teens! I think I have my work cut out for me! Of course, I can't just explain things, I have to demonstrate. I'm going to be paying for that tomorrow! After a 3 year hiatus, I decide to pick up where I left off...dumb idea. I'll never learn! Oh well, it was a very productive and fulfilling day. And what more could a person want???

3 comments:
As soon as you said "walked back into that school", all I could think of was 'the smell'! I don't remember it smelling like that when I was IN school - where did that come from?
I'm happy for you to have a chance to go back to something you once enjoyed. It sounds like a great way for you to get back to what you need.
Have fun!
I don't know why it smells that way, it just does! Possibly because my school was one really long hallway, so there were science labs, lockers crammed with stuff, a woodworking shop...you name it, it was all squeezed into one hallway! Weird, I know! Hope you week off with home improvements has gotten better. I was going to post something like "You're not a Johnson, you shouldn't have that bad of luck!" If it weren't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any at all! Anyway, enjoy the end to your week off! Thanks for the comments!
Congrats on the coaching position! How awesome!! I hope you have a great, fun season.
Post a Comment