
That's right, I went mushroom hunting! I know, how can you hunt something that doesn't move? Well, I like to think of it as an art, really. These little buggers are hard to find, as they look like the fallen leaves that carpet the timber. I was really excited to find this many, as it is really early for them. They are quite small, but that's okay. For most people, they are a delicacy. For me, it's all about the challenge. I don't really eat them. I try them every once in a while, but they're just not for me. I bet I covered 3 miles of timber today looking for them. Quite a workout! My legs and butt were feelin' it! Lots of hills and climbing over downed trees.
I love mushroom hunting, but I'm fairly new to the "sport." I've only done it for a few years, but my family has done it for as long as I remember. Today was a little weird. My dog, Butch, usually goes out with us. Actually, he usually doesn't let you leave without him if he sees that you have the collection bags. However, he's getting really old and can't/won't get into the truck, let alone run around the timber. My other mushrooming pal was D. I half-expected him to pop out of the woods today. I know that isn't realistic, but I was hoping. God I miss that kid! I'm hoping I can steal his nephew for a few afternoons and take him out there.

4 comments:
Oooh...look at your loot! The ladies at work were talking about mushrooming this week, and I want to go! You look like you did really well!
Hope you enjoy your weekend. :)
Oh! I'm so jealous! I used to go all the time when I lived back home!
Yum-o I LOVE freshly picked mushrooms. I've never actually gone mushroom hunting - that is something I'd really like to do.
Come on down! I'm about due for a Keaton fix! To date, between my dad and I, we've found 5 pounds!!!! I'm so excited!!!!
Post a Comment