Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Speechless

Have you ever received some news or a comment from someone that left you utterly speechless? It doesn't happen very often to me, but recently I received such a comment. Usually, when I hear something, even if I don't make a verbal response (say, if it's not worth hurting someone else or making them mad), I am giving a response in my head. This time, however, I had NOTHING...couldn't think, couldn't speak, and devastated. What was this news, you ask? The "W" word...WEIGHT.

I was at my yearly exam with my OB/GYN. She asked if I had any health concerns, any problems, any questions, etc. I told her I didn't. She said, "Well, I do. I'm concerned about your weight gain over the last 5 years." And rightfully so, it is ridiculous. And I know that. I'm thinking, "You're right...I have to do something. I wonder how she wants me to lose weight? Low carb? Weight Watchers?" And then she says, "I think you need to have Lap-Band surgery done." WTH? She asks if I'd ever considered it. I tell her "NO!" She babbles on about how other patients have had a lot of success...yadda, yadda, yadda. To tell you the truth, I was trying not to cry, and thinking in my head why I don't want to have this done; I had stopped listening. She sent me on my way with some pamphlets about bariatric procedures. And I made it to my car before I started crying.

(So, here are my issues with LapBanding for me:
*I have no physical ailments that prevent me from making eating and workout changes.
*I haven't had kids yet, and the thought of some foreign object being in my body while pregnant creeps me out.
*After the procedure, you have to eat a low fiber diet. Doesn't every healthy diet promote high fiber? If I recall, isn't fiber what cleans your colon? (I also have quite a family history of diverticulitis, so the low fiber thing scares me.)
*I'm not 30 yet, and I have no health issues besides allergies and asthma (lifelong.)
*There are no long-term studies of people who have had LapBanding, and I worry about possible side effects later in life (mostly due to nutritional issues and how that can affect bones, heart, etc.)

Okay, so it's no big news that I need to lose weight. Especially when you look at the pic Kate posted of me at H.'s baptism...whoa. That's not the version of me who I want K. and H. to know. Or anyone else for that matter. I have a ton of self-confidence, and that is probably one of my best assets. I refuse to change for anyone but me. I'm not ashamed to wear a bathing suit, and, in fact, spent most of my summer on a boat. I know my friends won't judge me, because I surround myself with great people. And I don't care what anyone outside of my circle of family and friends thinks about me. I like who I am, and I love food! I don't eat emotionally, I just have slow-ass metabolism (no thyroid issues, of course), and used to eat too late at night on my second shift nights. I say "used to" because on that fateful day in August, I stopped drinking pop (soda, if you will), stopped eating late, and given up fried food (not too big of a deal, because I didn't eat it that often anyway.) I also fill up on low calorie, low sugar, low fat snacks (bring on the sugar free jello!) and have increased my fluid intake immensely. It's a good thing I like water, tea and crystal light! I look at everything I'm about to put in my mouth, and ask "Is it worth it?" If it's not, I find something else. I haven't started a heavy workout routine yet, but I'll blog about that later. When I can workout, I plan on joining Weight Watchers...I want to get the most out of my money! (Yes, seriously! But I have friends who have done it, and I have the general guidelines that I've started following.)

I had often said before that I couldn't find the motivation to make the change...guess my OB knew how to help me there! I should mention, however, that I've known her my entire life, and she knows my struggles with weight. And I was able to quickly realize she only wanted to help me, even though the words hurt like a bi#$h! Thanks to some great friends, and great advice, I'm committed to making some changes. Apparently, so is my waistline...need to take in my work pants! Boo-yah!

5 comments:

Kate said...

I've been meaning to touch base with you to see how you are feeling about all of this...

When I first started reading this post I was almost in tears but by the end I was all You Go Girl!!!

I'm so proud of you for making these changes. It is so hard. Giving up soda has been probably the hardest for me and I'm only 1 week in. But I know it is worth it to get down to a healthy weight. Wishing you the best of luck as you continue on this journey to the best health ever. If there is anything I can do to help or comiserate (sp?) with you in the pain please know I'm here!

Em said...

Man, I'm right there with Kate on the tears turned to "go you!" thing. I'm so sorry you had to go through that at the doctor's office. I know the feeling all too well of fighting back tears while the doctor talks about his or her concerns about my weight. It feels like a punch in the gut, even if deep down you know that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. I think that your list of reservations about the lapband seem reasonable! And the daily changes you've already made are lifestyle changes--the best way to promote lasting weight loss. You're on your way, Amanda. "Go you!" We'll be here to cheer you on or listen if you need to vent.

amanda said...

Aww...thanks! I love you girls! Surprisingly, this has probably been my easiest attempt at "dieting", or "changing", I have ever made, because I don't deprive myself of anything (except pop), and when I do "cheat", I only cheat a little, because all I have to do is picture that LapBand! Damn, where was my OB/GYN 10 years ago!!!! I appreciate your kind words and encouragement more than you'll ever know! xoxo

CAS said...

Ugg- yes the dreaded Weight Word!!! It hurts so much!!! I love your attitude on life and I have faith that with that attitude you will do GREAT things! Weight Watcher is a great program, I did it and it was great- go to the meetings- as soon as I stopped going, I stopped loosing. I was on a roll for 6 months. I think I may go back, the accountability is what helps

Kate W. said...

YOu are going to think I am nuts- but- I am "friends" with Merlot ate and have just started reading your blog- this is a great post and even though I haven't read very far- I love your strength! I hope you find a better, more informed OB/GYN and then go tell the mean one she is an ass-hat. Also- tell her that I work for the company that makes lap bands... You don't want to know about the recalls and complications they don't want you to know about... nuff said.

Can't wait to read more!