Daniel-
So I've lived 365 days without you...and it still sucks. It still seems so much like a dream. Like if I focus really hard, I'll wake up and you'll walk through the door. I wish...oh, how I wish that were true. I can't believe you did that to me. I always figured I'd find you dead from a car accident. I had prepared myself for that. But not this...not this way. I can't believe you made me call my brother and tell him his other best friend died. I can't believe you didn't get to meet your niece...she's awfully sweet. I'm not sure why your death has been so hard for me to accept. I think it's because I...we all thought you were invincible. Really. You cheated death so many other times, and this is what it took. I hope your demons are gone now, and you get to rest peacefully. That's all I want (well, if you really can't come back.)
I can't count how many times I almost called you this past year. You finally got Brad to move back...too bad it wasn't sooner! You were supposed to finish the drywall in the bathroom. I can't even bear to scrape the hardened mud off the floor from your last attempt. You were supposed to be here to help dad set the generator in place. I needed you when the basement flooded and we didn't have power. I needed you when the furnace went out and it was freezing cold. I needed you to take care of our bee problem. But you weren't there. I feel like I took you for granted. I knew if I called you'd be here. I relied on you soooo much. Thank you for being such a good friend...to all of us.
I hope this hurt goes away. I hope as more time passes, the pain eases. But I've hoped that for 365 days. I'll let you know when it does. I think about you all the time. I donated some money this Christmas in your name, so some little kids could get presents...just like you did for your nieces and nephews. Every time I hear the song "Daniel" I have to change the station. Well, until today, when I was stuck in a store and couldn't escape from it. Ironic, on this day of all days, I hear that song.
Wow. 365 days. I never thought one year could be so tough. I never thought losing someone would be this tough. I never thought I could cry as much as I have this past year. I will continue to pray if you promise to protect me. Make sure you're taking care of my puppy up there!
Love and miss you more than you could imagine,
Amanda

No comments:
Post a Comment