I guess I should start by saying that I've been quite irritable lately. I'm not sure why. And I'm not sure if I'm really that irritable, or just usually so passive that it seems like a big change. Anyway, though I wanted to be excited about Thanksgiving, I wasn't, as I knew it would just be chaos...and it was.
The entire week of Thanksgiving is always when I finish up my crafting projects for a craft show I'm in Thanksgiving weekend. So I stayed up way too late and got up way too early every day to work on my stuff. I should learn to take some time off work so I can have ample time to do this, but I never do! (Side note...craft show was amazing! I sold almost everything!)
So going into Thanksgiving Day, I was tired not really ready to deal with my family. We only celebrate Thanksgiving with my mom's side of the family. She is one of seven children, and her mother grew up during the Depression. And they're all a bit crazy. I know you always have some craziness in every family, but my family takes the cake, especially when in a group. My grandmother's mobility has really failed in the last year. She is such an independent person that I knew this would be an issue...and it was. My cousin and I mashed the potatoes, and I made the gravy. My grandma was yelling at my Aunt D., because she can't do anything the "right way"...aka "Grandma's way." Aunt D. got very defensive and left the kitchen crying at one point. My Aunt C. lives a fair distance away, and came home for the week prior to Thanksgiving. She's got some pretty major issues and gets to things in her own time, which, unfortunately, is a few hours later than they needed to be done. Another argument from grandma. My Aunt L. is, well, she's a b!%@&! I can't stand looking at her face. And she mouthed off to her hairdresser (who happens to be a family friend...idiot!) about how terrible my family is to her and blah, blah, blah. Oh, and she did absolutely nothing to help on Thanksgiving Day. I have a 13 year old cousin who is extremely socially awkward and follows me around...everywhere. It used to be cute, but now it's super annoying. I try to give her advice, but she doesn't care. Oh, and she doesn't much care about hygiene, either. Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but sometimes they're too much to handle.
So I was really looking forward to Saturday, when I got to go back up to see all of them for grandma's 80th Birthday Party! And, true to form, it wasn't without argument. (Note: Here I feel I should mention that I have some OCD issues. Not with everything, just with some things. One of which is party setup.) I am used to setting up for these things by myself, and asking other people to do specific tasks. I am also used to preparing/serving food to large groups of people, as I do it weekly at work. So I get to the party venue, and stuff is set up weird and not very practically. I made some logical suggestions, such as moving the coffee pot and pot of apple cider into the other room where all the other drinks were, instead of having them on the side of the cake table where no one could access them. Shot down, complete with yelling from Aunt D. I then tried to tell her that we had to move the pots, as we were going to trip the breakers...shot down again. The morning continued in this fashion...being yelled at by Aunt D., then her following me around asking if I was mad. Whatever.
We were all supposed to be back at the venue by 12:30 PM (party at 2). Aunt C. had most of the supplies, but failed to show until 1:50 PM. Like I said, everything in her own time. Sure enough, when we went to plug in the roasters and coffee pots, guess what happened? Tripping circuits like crazy, and just like I had predicted and suggested to change that morning. God forbid they listen to someone who DOES THIS SHIT ALL THE TIME! Nope, still wasn't a good idea until my Cousin A. suggested we move some stuff. It's not really something to be that pissed about, but I was. Nothing like being slapped in the face by your own family! I guess the important thing is that my Grandma had a good time, and I got to hang out with my extended family, who I love.
So, since my family didn't care to ask, I'll post it here:
This year has been rough. Really rough. But also very blessed. I am thankful for the friends and family who have supported me, even when I'm a bear to be around. I'm thankful for the new friends I've made, and for friendships that have grown much stronger. I'm thankful that I have friends who will take time out of their busy lives to listen to me rant and rave every once in a while ;). I am thankful that God has given me so much in my life to be thankful for. I'm thankful He still chooses to listen to me and show me my path in life.
So as we enter this Christmas season, I hope to remember the "Reason for the Season." Sometimes I get wrapped up in all the activities of the season and lose track of what is really important. Here's wishing you all a happy and healthy holiday season. Thanks for being the wonderful people you are!

3 comments:
Oh girl! I think it's just something in the air! Reading your post was like looking in the mirror. You totally described the last 2 weeks of my life. Except I was sitting back looking at what a horrible person I must be to deserve all that.
Anyway - every holiday, every family gathering, I'm the dope. I can't slice potatoes right, I can't set the table right, I get the wrong things out of the refridgerator - good Lord! I'm such an idiot it's amazing that I can even function! Shit - I can't even BLOG right!! :)
Thanks for posting this, you really made me feel better!
Glad I'm not alone!!! I don't mind being the dope, because in the end, they eat the food they bitch about. But don't ask for my opinion then treat me like shit!!! Argh!!! You're not a horrible person, and you don't deserve it either. But, so long as family is around...I guess we'll just have to deal. My dad always said "You can pick your nose, you can pick your butt, you can pick your friends, BUT YOU CAN'T PICK YOUR RELATIVES!" How frighteningly true!
Oh hon, reading this, and reading your comment Gail, brings tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry you guys had crappy Thanksgivings. You both deserve so much better than that.
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Miss you and love you guys!
Post a Comment