(..did I mention I work with teens?)
About Me
- amanda
- I guess I should start with the basics. I'm Amanda, and I've decided to blog as a way to vent. I like to read other people's blogs, so we'll see how this goes. Hope you like it!
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Hmmm...
So today I had a doctor's appointment. You know, the yearly one. My favorite anyway. First, the mountain of paperwork...sigh. Then, cue organ music, (dun, dun, dun) the scale. Ouch. No really, ouch. I'm not dumb, I knew the number was going to be high, but wow. This year has been rough. I'm pretty sure I had a bout with depression, and I've been lazy. Not a bad depression, just needed to work through the events earlier this year. This time it just took way longer than normal. Hence, no motivation to eat well or work out. Today is the end of that, however. I HAVE to make better choices, even if I don't want to. Goodbye pop (or soda, whichever you prefer.) Goodbye sugary snacks (sad little gummy bears, I will miss you!) And, hopefully, goodbye eating late at night. I never thought this would be a problem for me, but my second shift nights kill me. Our work schedule is pretty structured. We eat supper with the kids between 5-6 PM, which means I'm starving by 11 PM. I try to eat a snack, usually fresh fruit, but that is about 8 PM, and still doesn't hold me until morning. And I need to come to work prepared, as I can't really forage around for anything else during snack time. So I guess I have to stop being lazy. I've always struggled with working out. Well, not always, but I didn't have to do it on my own before. In school, I was a 3 sport athlete...don't really have to work out on your own too much for that. In college, I had free access to a great facility, and the time to do it. Now, I have to drive 10 miles to do it, and I'm not too impressed with what I've seen. And my schedule is so screwed up that sometimes this isn't possible. The house is too small for workout equipment, and I don't always have time for the hour + walks around town I need to be taking. But I need to. I need someone to kick my butt in gear! I need a challenge. Hmmm...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
OH my! I had my yearly this week too - with the same result...I hate that scale!
Reading this post was like looking in the mirror! We're in the same boat, sista!
I don't know...I've got over 100 pounds of anchor to toss off my boat! I was seriously embarrassed!!!
me too! me too. I almost cried when I saw that #! And of course, the nurse was the teeniest little thing. And she says, "hm, it went up a little." and I'm ready to give her a candy bar and say, "would you just go and eat something!"
Mr dr. didn't mention it(maybe he was afraid I'd eat him) but, he did order a cholesterol screen.
I'm sorry you're in this boat - I just want you to know you're not alone. :)
I see a midwife, one I've known forever. She didn't say anything either, God love her. My regular physician recommended a low-carb diet a few years ago to my mother and I. My mom kinda does it, and has probably lost 20-ish pounds in that time. She cracks me up, though. She does low-carb during the week, but drinks quite a lot of beer on the weekends. I tried once to tell her that all the beer negates the work she did in the week, but then realized that if she is okay with it, then I should let her be. My pal Kylie and I are going to sort of do Weight Watchers, I think. Not the meetings and stuff, as neither one of us have time, but use the principles. We'll see. Luckily, with my recent scale-reading, I should be able to start the plan with more points than I can consume in a day!!! I just worry that if I don't do something, I'll ruin my body for later in life. Damn, and I really love food! I guess I'll just have to go back to eating responsibly and giving myself 1 indulgence a week. I did that in college, and it wasn't bad. I can do this...I can do this...I can do this....
I have also been struggling with the eating right and exercising lately. My problem is, I like soda (regular, not diet), I like pizza and ice cream and peanut butter m&ms and I have a hard time telling myself no. But you're right, you can do this. I can do this; we all can do this, right? Right? Please say yes! :)
Lately I've found it best to just take it one day at a time. Some days I don't do the greatest but I try not to let myself drown in guilt, just start off and soldier on the next day. Good luck hon. YOu can do this!!
Oh Kate! I wish we were in college...it was so much easier then! A fully stocked salad bar every day, having to walk a block just to get a snack, living on the 5th floor, a great place to workout without breaking up the day...wow, those were the days! I REALLY wanted a soda today...bad. But I didn't drink one (oh, and I much prefer regular soda to diet soda). I hope I can resist again tomorrow. Now for the diet change...not looking forward to that! I had pizza tonight. I'm sure it was still high in calories and stuff, but I had a BBQ Chicken Taco Pizza...and it was amazing! And filling-I only ate 2 pieces of a small pizza!
*SIGH* You can do this, I can do this, we all can do this...I just have to convince myself that it's the best idea. Afterall, I'm my own worst enemy! In the words of Jordin Sparks.."One step at a time...."
Post a Comment