This past week I went to see "My Sister's Keeper" with my good friends Jenn and Liz and their mom, Diane. I read the book by Jodi Picoult about 3 years ago. If you have not read a Jodi Picoult book, I highly recommend you do so. For me, they are soooo intoxicating that I can't put them down. My Sister's Keeper was my first Picoult book, and she writes in an interesting manner...from everyone in the story's perspective. Each chapter is designated for a different character's side of the story. That being said, she is probably one of my favorite authors. She writes about real (not necessarily true) things, things you can feel yourself going through. And she makes you think about situations from the "other person's" perspective. Obviously, with this glowing review, I highly recommend you read one of her books ;).
That being said, the movie was not much like the book. The premise was the same, but tons of things were changed. I can honestly say I prefer the book to the movie...it is much more descriptive and heart-wrenching. The movie totally changes the plot of the story. Normally, this makes me very upset, but I can understand why they did this. If they followed the book, it would have been a 5 hour movie! I highly recommend that you see the movie, but keep kleenex close...you'll need a whole box! It would be a great rental!

4 comments:
I like her books too...and I've been watching for the movie to come here but now, I don't think I'm going to like it. I don't mind if they leave stuff out - I don't like it if they change a bunch of stuff!
There is only one instance where I liked the movie - Message in a Bottle. I HATED that book!
Agreed! I'm still thinking you should see the movie, but I'd wait to rent it. It really was a great movie, just WAY different than the book! Hope you had a great weekend!
Darn it! I was afraid of this happening with this movie. I really liked the book, but you're right to REALLY make it into a movie it would have been 5+ hours. Still, I agree with Gail, leaving stuff out is one thing, changing it all together is quite another!
I'm reading another one of Jodi Picoult's books right now--"Handle with Care". I haven't read "My Sister's Keeper" yet, but it is on my list. It is always disappointing when the movie is different than the book, but I'm starting to understand that they're such different mediums, it's almost inevitable. I want to see the movie version of this, too (might even get to it before the book!).
Post a Comment