Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Still Exhausted

Girls Trip '09 was a success! We had a great house on Lake Sara, near Effingham, IL. We stayed on the same lake last year, but a different house. This house was nothing special, but was perfect for what we needed. On the shoreline, there was a boathouse with a sundeck on top...perfect! We honestly spent most of our time down there. Lots of sun, lots of drinks, and lots of fun! For those who read, join us if you want next year...it's my turn to plan! What do you think...a trip to my favorite place??? I think we should be WI bound!

I got a little too much sun on Friday, so I kind of hid out on Saturday. I tried to stay in the shade as much as possible. I was so engrossed in making jewelry (I know, surprise, surprise!) that I forgot to put on sunscreen. Still kicking myself for that one! Got some pretty stuff made, though, so that makes me feel a little better!

One of the coolest things I saw was on Sunday morning, as we were sitting on the deck drinking coffee and getting motivated to pack up. I should mention that I pay attention to EVERYTHING going on around me. People, cars, birds, etc. Just ask Kira (I spotted her and Justin when driving back from WI a month or so ago when going through Rockford!) Anyway, I looked across the lake and saw a mama and baby deer on the beach right across from us. Living in the middle of nowhere, it's not uncommon for us to have deer in our yard, so I wasn't that surprised to see them. I was surprised to see that the fawn couldn't have been more than 4 weeks old, which is surprising this late in the season. And this little fawn was crazy! He was racing back and forth along the water line, playing in the sand. He was sooooo cute! Then his mama would corral him and he'd calm down for a bit. Then back to racing. This went on for almost a half an hour...entertainment for Amanda!

I'm always amazed at what we encounter during our travels. Last year, we drove down on a Sunday. We typically "road trip" to our destination, but were having a hard time finding watering holes on Sunday. We stopped in this little town near Champaign to get a drink. We found an American Legion (our fave places to stop) and it just so happened that two members were up on the roof fixing a light. They let us in to go potty and get some drinks, and we ended up staying for over an hour! This year, however, we were on a time limit, so there was no road-tripping. We did, however, stop at a gas station to use the facilities. We walked in and it smelled H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E! Like someone opened up their butt cheeks and rubbed them all over the walls! I'm hoping it was a sewer backup of some sort, but the bathrooms smelled better than the store. Yikes! It's always an interesting trip.

Anyway, I'm going to try to post some pictures soon, though I'm not sure how many appropriate pictures I got ;). Hope everyone else has a great end to their week to start another great weekend!!!!!

4 comments:

Kate said...

"....opened up their butt cheeks and rubbed them all over the walls." NICE!

The story of the fawn is so cute. Glad you guys had a good time, sounds like an awesome trip!

Elenbga said...

my question was - how do you know what opened butt cheeks rubbed on walls smells like? Or is that some special talent regarding some of your teens!?! :)

I'm glad to hear you had a great time on your trip and I can't wait to see some pics!

Em said...

Ooh...sorry to hear about your sunburn, but it sounds like you had an awesome time. The fawn story was precious!

Oh the visual imagery you use, Amanda. The 'opened up their butt cheeks...' line. You sure can turn a phrase, girl! ;)

amanda said...

HEHEHE! But (ha ha) you all know exactly what I'm talking about!!!