Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Here's to 2009...

Hello Friends!

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted anything. So much has happened! I spent early December in WI. This is somewhat of an annual thing for me. I usually meet friends there for some Christmas activities. This year was a little different, as my trip organizer, was very pregnant with her son, K. Early on, she was planning on coming down; I, of course, was leery from the get-go. Luckily for me (though I did miss seeing her), she became extremely exhausted, and opted to stay close to home. I got to lounge around a lot in WI, which is something I don't often get to do at home. WI is my refuge. Sometimes my hosts feel bad for being so low-key, but I love it! I get rest and relaxation! I often talk about my friend Shannon's little ones, D. and E. D. turned 6 while I was in WI, and asked me to make him a cake with strawberries and blueberries. The only thing I could come up with was a Jello cake (think 4th of July.) I made it, it turned out okay, and upon entering the bowling alley, I promptly dropped it on the floor. Luckily, the lid stayed on, so it wasn't ruined, but it definitely didn't look as pretty as when I had left the house! Now it will be forever known as "AJ Drop Cake." Lovely.













Here are D. and E. playing out in the snow.






I love the Christmas season, and I try to make Christmas at work fun. I like to do projects with the kids that they can give back to the community. I have a friend who works at a domestic violence center here, and one year she needed blankets. I went all over, getting donations of money and fabric to make fleece tie-blankets. We made about 25 blankets and donated them. Once, I came across some plain flower pots that I had the kids decorate and plant flowers in, then we took them to a local nursing home for Mother's Day. It's hard to explain to my kids why we do these things. They are typically ones who receive donations, and I (and my fellow staff members) feel they need to know what it feels like to give back, and to understand how easy it is and how much it means to other people. At Christmas time, we usually have a day where we decorate gingerbread houses and ornaments, then take them to the nursing home. This year, gingerbread houses were nixed (which I was not very happy about) and we were going to make tons of ornaments and take them to nursing homes around town. Unfortunately, the day we were supposed to do this, there was a massive ice storm. We were able to make the ornaments, but not until Christmas Eve. The kids had fun, and I think my co-workers did too.

Christmas and my birthday were pretty un-eventful due to the weather. I did, however, get a really big surprise at the end of the month. I have a new friend, K.




K. was quite a bit early, but healthy as could be. And cute. He is the handsome son of my dear friends Kate and Collin. Without going into too much detail, it was unclear for many years if a K. could be possible. But I'm so glad he was. I haven't even met him, but he's brought me so much joy! I can't explain it any more, just pure joy. And hope. I think K. reminded me of the magic of Christmas, and has renewed my spirit. Thanks, buddy, I needed it!

As I reflect on 2008, I am reminded of the things and people I lost this past year. I am reminded of the hardships my family and friends have faced. I am reminded that all things happen for a reason. And I have to be okay with that. For the most part, I think I am. There were some times, however, that it took me a really long time to be okay with that. But I am also reminded of my blessings. I have great friends and family. I have a job I enjoy (most of the time, minus the whiny voices of course). And I have optimism, which is something I take for granted. "It could always be worse" is my new motto. My goals for 2009 are to take time for me, to be less judgemental, and to be a better person. I think all are attainable, but I'll have to remind myself of the list! So, here's hoping 2009 is good to all of us! Lots of love and all the best!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Oh no you dropped the cake? It sounds like it wasn't completely ruined, so that is good. And always makes for a good story!

K can't wait to meet you!

Em said...

I like your goals for 2009. I think they are good ones to strive for, and I hope to do the same. :) I hope your year has started off great!

Aubrey said...

What a great post. Left me feeling hopeful too. Which is of course something I need so often lately. You always make me smile after reading your stuff.

And AJ Drop Cake sounds great. It could become a tradition that would make D laugh every year!! I hope you have a great week that you'll look back and NOT have to think "It could have been worse" because it will have been so great!!